www.ebonyjoywilkins.com
books contact about news & events Ebony Joy Wilkins Copy Editing blog extras

Monday, February 13, 2012

Secret Saturdays by Torrey Maldonado

Secret SaturdaysSecret Saturdays by Torrey Maldonado

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


In Secret Saturdays, debut author and seasoned educator Torrey Maldonado tells the story of two pre-teen boys who try to keep their friendship going amidst school bullying, absent fathers, and troubles at home. Sean and Justin are best friends who survive the streets of their tough neighborhood, together. When Sean starts keeping secrets, getting in trouble at school, and distancing himself, Justin wants to find out what’s going on with his friend before he gets in real trouble. Maldonado has told the story of real boys with real problems, who have recognizable voices and vast personalities. I fell for Sean and Justin right away and pulled for their renewed friendship the whole read. And because I read most stories with my teacher hat on, I was hooked by Maldonado’s use of poetry, rhythm, and music to compose this important account.

“I mixed my passion for writing and teaching and made Secret Saturdays, which can help young people better handle tough times and gives them an exciting read” –Maldonado on Secret Saturdays.

To read more, visit http://www.torreymaldonado.com/



View all my reviews

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home